Use the articles from these pages to answer the following questions about soil, or alternatively you can download and print the questions Test your soil knowledge, Student
- Where can you find more carbon – stored in the soil or above the ground?
- How many components make up soil?
- Sand is the largest mineral in soil. What is the smallest?
- Name three sports that are played on soil surfaces?
- If a sand particle is compared to a netball in size, what can we compare a clay particle to?
- Does a blue colour indicate good soil drainage or poor soil drainage?
- True or false. Soil scientists use colour charts – similar to those found in paint/hardware stores.
- Soil supports what percentage of the Earth’s biodiversity?
- What are examples of three living things that influence soil formation?
- How many different types of soil are there in New Zealand?
- Every year on a global basis, we lose enough soil to erosion, compaction and pollution to cover which country?
Here is an answer sheet for those having difficulty finding the answers: Test Your Soil Knowledge – Answers
For the teachers, here is a sheet with the answers and the pages they are found on: Test your soil knowledge, Teachers